8 October 2013

Book Review: Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: Kindle
Publishers:  Entangled Publishing, LLC (Covet)
Published:31st May 2013
Pages: 275
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Serena, Hunter
Date Read: 28th August - 5th September 2013
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


This is a stand alone novel that is an adult spin-off of the Lux Series You do not need to read a Lux book to read Obsession and vice versa.

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?


As soon as I saw that Jennifer L Armentrout was doing a spin off to the Lux series I obviously had to buy it and I'm glad I did as I very much enjoyed it.

 I'm not too sure with the cover as I do like it but I'm just not overly keen. I love the way Hunters eyes stand out just like they do in the book. I can definitely imagine the models are Hunter and Serena. I do love the colours used as it looks very understated.

As soon as I started this book I was hooked which I am a little surprised as I didn't think that the Arum would be easily liked with reading about them in the Lux series but that's what I did. I loved that there was loads of action from the get go and I never knew what was going to happen next very much on the edge of your seat kind of stuff happening. The romance side of the story I loved as the banter between Hunter and Serena was hilarious and the more the story went along the more the sparks went off. I also loved that we got a glimpse of Daemon in this book which definitely got me excited for Origin. The ending was good as again it got me needing to read Origin but it also made me want this book to be a series too.

I loved the new characters introduced to this world. Serena was a great female character she reminded me of a older version of Katy as she wouldn't take the way Hunter first treated her. I really did think it was going to be hard to like Hunter but after reading the book I fell in love with him and his humour! There was times when he was acting a bit of a jerk but he soon pulled himself around. For most of this book it was mainly these two characters but occasionally a couple of other characters would appear which for most part where a great addition to the book but some of them not so good. Some of the bad guys in this book you wouldn't believe but it just goes to show that there is always two sides to a story.

Overall I loved everything about this book with great chemistry and quite a bit of humour thrown in for good measure.